March 13, 2018

Chiquipork entrevista a... Tuija Heikkinen

I am Tuija Heikkinen from northern Finland, I live very close to the Arctic Circle. My education is a fashion and textile designer, but my heart and soul is in the various fields of arts and crafts. I work as a teacher, and also with my small company which focuses on printed textiles. 

I am very curious, I get excited easily, I love to experiment, and the red thread in my working is open mind and what comes by accident and chance. 

Soy Tuija Keikkinen, del norte de Finlandia, vivo muy cerca del Círculo Polar Ártico. Me formé como diseñadora textil y de moda, pero mi alma y mi corazón están en los diversos campos del art&crafts. Trabajo como profesora, y también con mi pequeña empresa que se enfoca en impresión textil.

Soy muy curiosa, me emociono fácilmente, amo experimentar y lo que conecta mi trabajo es mantener la mente abierta y lo que viene por casualidad o accidente.


As fas as I know, you're an arts&crafts teacher. What kind of technichs do you teach? What kind of people do you teach to?
I teach teenagers and adults in a local arts and crafts school. I consider my teaching role more as an inpirator and more like encouraging the students, rather than just traditional teaching. I believe in doing and learning together. I teach with hard and soft materials (wood, concrete, mosaic, textile printing, felting, dyeing..). I like working with different kind of people, I am teaching, and also learning, interaction is important.

Según he podido saber eres profesora de Arts & Crafts, ¿qué tipo de técnicas enseñas? ¿a qué tipo de público?
Enseño a adolescentes y adultos en una escuela de arts&crafts local. Considero mi papel de docente más como inspiradora y como alentadora que como una profesora tradicional. Creo en hacer y aprender al mismo tiempo. Enseño con materiales blandos y duros (madera, hormigón, mosaicos, textiles, estampación, fieltro, tintes...) Me gusta trabajar con distintos tipos de personas, estoy enseñando y también aprendiendo, la interacción es importante.


I can see that you use different materials in order to express your artwrok, besides crochet, fabrics, knitting. Which are your favourites materials?
At the moment I am working with crocheting, embroidery and textile printing, but I am open to all kinds of techniques. I like especially mixing different techniques. I admire the way collage artists cut, mix and combine different materials together. Also recycled materials are very important in my working, I use them a lot. 

Technique itself is not important, but the way you choose to use it.

Veo que utilizas diferentes materiales para expresar tu obra además del crochet, tela, punto… ¿Cuáles son tus materiales favoritos?
Por el momento trabajo con ganchillo, bordado y telas estampación en textiles, pero estoy abierta a todo tipo de técnicas. me gusta especialmente mezclar técnicas. Admiro la forma en que los artistas de collage cortan, mezclan y combinan diferentes materiales. También los materiales reciclados son muy importantes en mi trabajo, los uso mucho. La tñecnica en si misma no es importante, si no la forma en que la usas.


It's been impossible to find information about you in the net, just your instagram account. Why is this? What's your relationship with the social media? How important do you think they are for artists such as you? I am quite old fashioned when it comes to social media. I think I prefer real world :) But I use internet and social media to find inspiration and information, it is a great source for that, in addition to magazines and books that I have always enjoyed. I think the greatest thing about social media (mainly my Instagram) has been to find new friends and collagues from all over the world.


Me ha sido imposible encontrar información sobre ti en internet, sólo tu cuenta de Instagram. ¿porqué? ¿Cuál es tu relación con las redes sociales y que importancia crees que tienen para artistas como tú?
Soy bastante chapada a la antigua en lo que se refiere a las redes sociales. Prefiero el mundo real :) Pero uso internet y las redes sociales para encontrar inspiración e información, es un gran recurso para eso, además de las revistas y libros que siempre he disfrutado. Ceeo que lo mejor de las redes sociales (sobre todo instagram) ha sido encontrar nuevos amigos y colegas de todo el mundo.



I like your work very much, since it's like you are drawing. There's always some composition with different elements that form a scene. Which are your sources of inspiration? Do you make sketches or plan the scene before? 
I found crocheting by chance some years ago. My grandmother was a great crocheter, and her stiches would have gone around the world many times. My first main material was printed textile. It has all the essential things that drive my working. First there is an empty surface and an idea how to fill it with colours and shapes. The same goes with my crocheting. I don't do skecthes, I just start with some theme and let the hook fly. I call my crochets hook pictures, hook sketches or hook illustrations. One could think of them also as print textile sketches, or book illustrations. I don't use much direct instructions or patterns, I get along just fine with some basic stiches. 

Me gusta mucho tu trabajo porque es como si dibujaras. Siempre hay una composición con diferentes elementos que forman una escena. ¿Cuáles son tus fuentes de inspiración? ¿Haces un boceto o planeas previamente la escena que quieres realizar?
Descubrí el ganchillo de casualidad, hace algunos años. Mi abuela era una gran tejedora, y sus puntos dieron la vuelta al mundo varias veces. MI primer material importante fueron telas estampadas. tenía todo lo esencial que guía mi trabajo. Primero, una superficie vacía y una idea de cómo llenarlo con colores y formas. Lo mismo se aplica a mi ganchillo. No hago bocetos, simplemente empiezo con algún tema y dejo el gancho volar. Llamo a mis trabajos imágenes de gancho, o bocetos de gancho o ilustraciones de gancho. Podrías verlos como bocetos para estampados para telas o ilustraciones para libros. No uso muchas instrucciones o patrones, me desenvuelvo bien con algunos puntos básicos.


What made you start this initiative and what would you like to achieve? What would you like to transmit with your work?
I have always worked with my hands, it is a way of life for me, and luckily I have been able to make a profession from it. I want to spread the joy of doing and making, and that you can do things in so many ways. I want to discover new things and techniques to my express myself and inspire others. Maybe one day I make a book. Or a collage. Or write my first crochet pattern... World is full of possibilities!


¿Qué te llevó a iniciar este proyecto y a dónde te gustaría llegar con él? ¿Qué quieres transmitir con tu obra?
Siempre he trabajado con mis manos, es una forma de vida para mi, y afortunadamente he sido capaz de transformarlo en profesión. Quiero difundir la alegría de hacer y de que puedes hacer cosas de muchas formas. Quiero descubrir nuevas cosas y técnicas para expresarme e inspirar a otros. Quizá algún día haga un libro. O un collage. O escriba mi primer patrón de ganchillo... el mundo está lleno de posibilidades!



This interview was made by Chiquipork
Esta entrevista fue hecha por Chiqiupork

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...