April 24, 2018

Mid Knits entrevista a... Ilaria Caliri!

Hi! I’m Ilaria, an Italian crochet designer and maker currently living in London. I’ve designed more than hundred different characters for magazines, books and my blog along with two amigurumi books: Amigurumi Winter Wonderland and Amigurumi Globetrotters. 



I’m fond of yarns, fabrics and any craft supply. I love strolling around, baking muffins (eating them afterwards) and any kind of cactus.

    Hola! Soy Ilaria, una diseñadora de ganchillo italiana que actualmente vive en Londres. He diseñado más de cien personajes para revistas, libros y mi blog, junto con dos libros de amigurumi: Amigurumi Winter Wonderland and Amigurumi Globetrotters

Me encantan las lanas, telas y cualquier material de labores. Me gusta deambular, hornear magdalenas (comerlas después) y cualquier tipo de cactus.



If you could go back in time to when you first started crocheting what advice would you give yourself?
I think the best advice would be: follow more patterns, read more books and do less experiments at the very beginning of the crochet adventure. I learned how to crochet when I was a child, but I started crocheting again in my early twenties when my cousin showed me that crochet wasn’t only doilies and filet charts. I was stunned and as I already knew the basic crochet techniques I immediately started experimenting new shapes and stitches doing loads of trial and error instead of learning from other designers. It was an anarchic and fun game but learning from who has more experience is essential and less time consuming.


Si pudieses volver al momento en que empezaste a hacer ganchillo, qué consejo te darías a ti misma?
Creo que el mejor consejo sería: sigue más patrones, lee más libros y haz menos experimentos al principio de la aventura del ganchillo. Aprendí a hacer ganchillo de niña pero empecé de nuevo a los veintipocos cuando mi prima me enseñó que no sólo eran tapetes y punto de red. Me quedé pasmada y, como ya sabía hacer ganchillo, empecé inmediatamente a experimentar nuevas formas y puntos haciendo montones de prueba-error en vez de aprender de otros diseñadores. Era un juego anárquico y divertido pero aprender de quien tiene más experiencia es esencial y consume menos tiempo.

    

What is the worst crochet disaster you have ever had and what did you learn from it?
I don’t remember a huge disaster – only because I can never rely on my memory. However, there are 2 stupid mistakes I did hundreds of times: 1. avoid the tension square before starting a project and 2. never buy enough yarn for a jumper. But now I’ve learned the lesson! I always check my gauge meticulously and when I see some yarn in a colour that I really like I tend to buy enough for a garment – all my spare balls of yarn will be always useful for small project and amigurumi.

Cuál es el peor desastre ganchillero que has tenido nunca y qué aprendiste de él?
No recuerdo un gran desastre - sólo porque no puedo confiar en mi memoria. De todas formas, hay 2 errores tontos que he cometido cientos de veces. 1. Evitar tejer la muetsra para la tensiín siempre que empiezo un proyecto y 2. no comprar lana suficiente para un jersey. Pero ahora he aprendido la lección! Siempre compruebo mi tensión meticulosamente y cuando veo alguna lana en un color que realmente me gusta intento comprar suficiente para una prenda - todos los ovillos de sobra serán útiles para proyectos pequeños y amigurumi.



Your patterns are all so whimsical, where do you get your inspiration from?
Thank you! Talking about amigurumi every project is different. I can be inspired by a documentary on animals, illustrations, weird details I see around me, so I start doodling and sketching until I figure out that a design could be a cute amigurumi character.
For garments my approach is slightly different. I start thinking about something I need or a style I like then I add some texture using crochet stitches and an interesting garment construction to get a pattern fun to crochet not only nice to wear.

Tus patrones son tan caprichosos, de dónde sacas la inspiración?
Gracias! En cuanto al amigurumi, cada proyecto es diferente. Me puede inspirar un documental de animales, ilustraciones, detalles raros que veo a mi alrededor. Entonces empiezo a hacer bocetos hasta que resuelvo qué diseño podría ser un bonito personaje para un amigurumi.
Para prendas, mi enfoque es ligeramente diferente. Empiezo pensando sobre algo que necesito o un estilo que me gusta entonces añado textura usando diferentes puntos y construcción de la prenda interesante para obtener un patrón que, además de ser bonito, sea divertido de tejer.



What has been your favourite make so far?
This question is tough as I always like my last project more then all the previous ones, so everyone is my fave for a short time! I’ve really enjoyed designing and making Steno, the little mouse with the popcorn box and Caterino the super serious walrus.

Cuál es tu favorito por ahora?
Esta pregunta es difícil, ya que siempre me gusta más el último proyecto que he hecho, por lo que todos son mis favoritos durante un tiempo! He disfrutado mucho diseñando y haciendo a Steno, el pequeño ratón con la caja de palomitas y a Caterino, la morsa superseria.



If you could be any one of your amigurumi characters which one would it be and why?

There’s only one possible answer to this question: my crafty doll! I’m surrounded by yarn and I like to learn new craft skills. Moreover, I dream about having long legs and carrot red hair.

Si pudieses ser cualquiera de tus amigurumis, cuál serías y porqué?

Sólo hay una forma de responder a esta pregunta: mi muleca crafty!! Estoy rodeada de lana y me gusta aprender nuevas técnicas. Además, sueño con tener unas piernas largas y el pelo naranja como una zanahoria.


This interview was made by Mid Knits

MORE CROCHATTING HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...